Communities support each other in good times and in challenging times and my colleagues Suzi, Tania, Oana and I really enjoy all the interaction we have with our extended ESMS Community.
At this difficult time we are remaining cheerful and positive and we have been having interesting discussions thinking up all sorts of ways in which we can support alumni, parents, former members of staff and their families. Some might like some practical help, others might decide to join us in some virtual activities or perhaps simply to stay in touch either by having a chat with us or maybe exchanging some emails. We have plenty of resources available to us, we have even more energy and we love a challenge! All you have to do is to tell us what you would like us to do for you, how we can help you to pass the time at home and perhaps how to get in touch with friends with whom you have lost contact.
This is the time for us all to come together and support each other and that is exactly what we will try to do in the coming weeks and months. We hope we can help to provide you with some light relief, particularly if you are feeling isolated and very bored. Among our initial ideas are the following:
- Are you prepared to assist fellow ESMS Community members in your area if they are self-isolating but need basic supplies? Please get in touch and let us know the area in which you stay and we will add you to our list of willing helpers.
- Do you have a business that delivers meals or other essential items to doorsteps? Or a restaurant, café, bakery that can do take-away? Once again please let us know. We are planning to put together a list of companies operating in Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife and will upload this to the Local Suppliers page here as a reference guide for the community.
- We are planning one and probably more virtual coffee-mornings – join us for a chat and tell us how you’re planning to keep yourself and your family occupied in the coming weeks
- We are looking at the possibility of a music experience for players of all ages from beginners to proper musicians, including those who used to play but haven’t touched their instrument for years! This could perhaps be a live online event or alternatively a series of WhatsApp or Youtube videos. Do you know someone with the expertise to help us with this?
- We are also thinking of arranging a virtual singalong and again would welcome advice and practical help
- If you have young children who would like to help other members of our community feel less isolated, please ask them to write cards or letters or draw pictures and send them to us in the Development Office at ESMS, Queensferry Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3EZ. We will forward these to some of the more isolated and elderly members of our community, particularly those who do not have access to email and so will not have received this email or be in a position to enjoy the online activities we are planning.
- Do you have any practical tips in such areas as frugal cooking, gardening and much more besides? Please share these with us and we will gather together and publish them in a weekly newsletter.
- We will share ideas, activities, appeals for help and offers of support here on the blog. We will do our best to keep you entertained by posting links to school videos, old photographs and new articles about members in our community as well as other interesting bits and pieces.
- Finally, let’s share some memories of the school year so far. What was your child’s highlight? Please send us a photo if you are happy for this to be used as part of a celebration of the year 2019/20 within our Community.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us with your comments, suggestions and ideas. Meanwhile, if you think you can help us in any way, please let us know.
In closing I would like to thank you personally for your involvement in our community. We are very proud of every member of our extended ESMS Community and we hope that you will engage in some of the initiatives we are planning.
Thank you for your support.
Director of Development
2 thoughts on “Introduction”
Well done everyone.
Awesome and amazing! So excited about this!