We have had some amazing home bakes and cooking shared with us over the course of the last week. If you would like to share some of your family’s efforts to be published next week, please contact Suzi on email@example.com.
Amelia in S3 has made this amazing coffee and walnut cake and has shared the recipe with us below:
For the cake
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 50ml/1¾fl oz strong espresso coffee
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 75g/2½oz walnuts
For the buttercream topping
- 125g/4½oz unsalted butter
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- 50ml/2fl oz strong espresso coffee
- 12 walnut halves, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
- Add the espresso to the mixture and stir well.
- Add the flour and walnuts and stir well to completely combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into two lined and greased 20cm/8in cake tins.
- Transfer to the oven to bake 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden-brown.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream topping, beat the butter and icing sugar together in a small bowl until pale and light.
- Add the espresso and mix well.
- Spread the buttercream over the top of each cake, then place one cake on top of the other.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the walnut halves and serve in generous slices
Inspire Catering Recipes
In addition to Amelia’s efforts above, our School caterers, Inspire, have shared some recipes with us for community use which you can find on the following link: https://community.esms.org.uk/inspire-recipes-week-1-0.